Joint pain caused by arthritis, a fracture or other conditions can make routine activities painful and difficult. While conservative methods for pain relief are typically used as frontline treatment, sometimes joint replacement is the most effective way of alleviating your pain and restoring you to your accustomed level of functionality.
Orthopedic surgeons at TriStar Greenview Regional Hospital were the first in Bowling Green to perform total joint replacement in an outpatient setting. This means patients are able to recover in the comfort of their own homes. Combining an innovative evidence-based approach to pain management with a dynamic physical therapy regimen allows us to optimize outcomes by setting patients on the road to recovery soon after their procedure.
TriStar Greenview offers the following outpatient total joint replacement services:
Benefits of outpatient total joint replacement
- Multimodal pain relief: Our orthopedic team uses an innovative approach to pain relief that begins prior to the start of surgery. This method for alleviating pain throughout preoperative, intraoperative and postoperative phases of your procedure, along with ice therapy, early ambulation and physical therapy aids in your recovery.
- Enhanced recovery at home: Recuperating at home offers a number of benefits. Recovering in the familiarity of your own home increases your postoperative comfort, affords you more control over your surroundings and returns you to an environment in which you are more likely to get a good night’s sleep.
- Dynamic physical therapy: Our physical therapists are skilled in working with outpatient total joint patients. Their rapid approach will get you walking as soon as you arrive on the orthopedic unit, which significantly enhances your recovery. Their approach will help you regain as much function in the joint as possible.
Qualifying for outpatient total joint replacement
The outpatient setting is not the right choice for patients who would benefit from an overnight stay in the hospital. Some need a higher degree of medical attention because of comorbidities, but others may be perfectly suited for outpatient joint replacement. Your orthopedic surgeon will discuss your options with you and help you decide which approach is best for your specific situation.
Patients who would benefit from outpatient total joint replacement include:
- Patients who are taking few or no medications for chronic pain.
- Patients who are active before surgery are more likely to flourish in postoperative physical therapy. Such patients are also more likely to return to typical activities more quickly.
- Patients who have a strong support system respond better to recovering at home. Total joint replacement is still a major surgical procedure, so having family or friends at home to help while you recover is important. We suggest having someone remain with you for at least 24 hours after returning home.
- Patients who are motivated to participate in physical therapy and their recovery process typically see better outcomes.
Ready to put joint pain behind you? Call MedLine, at (270) 495-6675, for a free physician referral.