January 25, 2021
BOWLING GREEN, KY — TriStar Greenview Regional Hospital is proud to announce it has started administering the monoclonal antibody therapeutic, Bamlanivimab, for the treatment of non-hospitalized patients with mild or moderate confirmed cases of COVID–19. Bamlanivimab received emergency use authorization from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (USFDA) on November 9, 2020.
“Providing newly approved infusion therapies will allow TriStar Greenview to be proactive with treatment of COVID-19 and potentially reduce hospitalization in our community, said Dr. David Smith, Chief Medical Officer at TriStar Greenview Regional Hospital. “We are proud to share the Bamlanvimab treatment option to adult’s age 18 years and over to the communities we serve. The Bamlanvimab treatment is one of the tools that will help make a direct impact in the fight against COVID-19.”
According to the USFDA, Bamlanvimab is appropriate for emergency use for the treatment of COVID-19 in patients experiencing mild to moderate symptoms who are high-risk to develop severe COVID-19 and who are 12 years of age or older, weighing at least 40 kg (88 lbs.).
High-risk criteria include:
- Have a body mass index (BMI) ≥ 35
- Have chronic kidney disease
- Have diabetes mellitus
- Have immunosuppressive disease
- Are currently receiving immunosuppressive treatment
- Are ≥ 65 years of age
- Are ≥ 55 years of age AND
- Have cardiovascular disease, or hypertension or, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease/other chronic respiratory disease.
- Are 12 – 17 years of age AND have
- BMI ≥85th percentile for their age and gender based on CDC growth charts
- Sickle cell disease,
- Congenital or acquired heart disease,
- A neurodevelopmental disorders, for example, cerebral palsy,
- A medical-related technological dependence, for example, tracheostomy, gastrostomy, or positive pressure ventilation (not related to COVID-19),
- Asthma, reactive airway or other chronic respiratory disease that requires daily medication for control.
Patients must obtain a physician referral for a BAM Infusion Consult from their primary care provider, meet FDA criteria prior to scheduling, and have a referral order for BAM Infusion. Patients meeting criteria for treatment will be referred for outpatient treatment at the BAM infusion therapy center located at TriStar Greenview Regional Hospital. This is a three–hour treatment process.