Women's health in North Nashville
At TriStar Skyline Medical Center, we are committed to providing high-quality women's care that specifically addresses your health needs. From comprehensive gynecology services to breast screening, we offer compassionate diagnostic and treatment services for women of all ages in Davidson County.
For a free physician referral or more information, call TriStar MedLine® at (615) 769-2000.
Our gynecologists offer expert gynecologic care for women facing conditions such as pelvic pain, menopause, fibroids, incontinence and cancer.
Gynecological services we offer include:
- Contraceptive education and management
- Follow-up exams after surgery and childbirth
- Gynecologic cancer care
- Gynecologic emergency care
- Gynecologic exams
- Investigation of reproductive problems
- Minimally invasive surgery
- Menopause consultation, diagnostic testing and support
- Treatment for sexually transmitted infections (STIs)
- Urinary incontinence care
We specialize in minimally invasive gynecologic surgery using state-of-the-art technology. Our expert surgeons will work with you to decide the best surgical option for you, whether that involves traditional methods or a minimally invasive approach.
Gynecologic procedures we perform include:
- Endometrial ablation
- Tubal ligation
Our gynecologists and the oncology experts at Sarah Cannon Cancer Institute provide comprehensive evaluation, treatment and follow-up care for patients with cancer. Some of the gynecologic cancers this includes are:
Breast health services
We provide the most advanced imaging technology to identify and detect breast cancer early, including digital mammography and minimally invasive image-guided breast biopsies.
Mammograms are an important screening procedure to help identify breast disease in women. This is why we are committed to providing you with high-quality breast imaging. Accredited by the American College of Radiology, we provide mammograms using safe amounts of low-dose radiation to see clear and accurate images of the inside of the breast.Schedule your mammogram online
We offer the following mammogram procedures:
- Screening mammogram—The technologist will take two X-ray images of each breast to identify any changes that cannot be identified during a self-check breast exam for women with no signs of breast cancer.
- Diagnostic mammogram—If there are any changes in your breast tissues, your physician will recommend a diagnostic mammogram to take magnified images from different angles of the tissue in question to visualize the area in more detail.
- Stereotactic breast biopsy—If there are any abnormalities present, you may also undergo an additional test in which your technologist will use mammography imaging to identify a sample of tissue and remove it for biopsy.
After your screening, one of our radiologists will review and analyze your images within 24 hours. If we find something abnormal in your images, our team will contact you within two business days of your appointment to schedule a follow-up visit.
Preparing for your mammogram
Prior to your mammography appointment, we recommend you take the following into account:
- Avoid scheduling your mammogram during the week before your menstrual cycle when your breasts are tender.
- Wear a two-piece outfit, so you only have to remove your top during the exam.
- Do not wear any deodorant, perfume, powder or lotion under your arms or on your breasts. These substances will distort your images, potentially causing a false-positive or false-negative result.
Additionally, TriStar Skyline offers online scheduling for mammography appointments. Enter your information online before you arrive to save time at the hospital. Please pre-register for your mammogram at least 48 hours before your visit to the hospital to allow adequate time to process all of your information.
Mammograms during and after pregnancy
We recommend women who are pregnant wait to schedule a mammogram after the delivery of their newborn to avoid potential danger to the fetus. However, a breast ultrasound may be performed without any concern to the fetus because there is no radiation used during an ultrasound.
After birth, breast tissue may appear denser than usual if you decide to breastfeed your baby. Women who breastfeed can have mammograms without any health concern, though the denser breast tissue may make it more difficult for the radiologist to determine results.
Additional women's imaging procedures
In addition to providing mammograms, we also offer the following breast-specific radiology procedures:
- Breast ultrasound—Using sound waves, this imaging technique identifies any abnormalities in the breast, including tumors and oddities in the blood vessels.
- Ultrasound-guided breast biopsy—During this procedure, your technologist will take a sample of abnormal breast tissue for further analysis.
Bone density testing
We also offer bone density testing and body fat analysis through dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry (DEXA) scans.
- DEXA bone densitometry—This noninvasive procedure is performed to measure the density of your bones and gauge how prone to osteoporosis you are.
- DEXA body fat analysis—This noninvasive test is used to measure your total body fat percentage and total fat mass.
Women's cancer services
If you are diagnosed with gynecologic or breast cancer, we are here for you. Through Sarah Cannon Cancer Institute, we serve Davidson, Sumner and Robertson counties with a full range of cancer care services to meet the needs of women undergoing cancer treatment. In addition to minimally invasive procedures, we also offer all major treatment methods, including surgery, radiation oncology and medical oncology.
Women's care at TriStar Health
Whether you are in adolescence or menopause, seeking preventive care or treatment, your individual needs come first. Our commitment is to support you through every stage of life.Learn about Women's care